image: Dom O'Donnell
Sharp Short Dance 2016
FORM Dance Projects invites young choreographers and dancers to participate in Sharp Short Dance to be held at Riverside Theatres, Parramatta this November! The season will present numerous dance works choreographed and performed by emerging young artists.
Sharp Short Dance provides an opportunity for aspiring choreographers and dancers aged 21 and under to not only display their talents, but to also inspire young performers to strive for their own artistic excellence and encourage active youth participation in all genres of dance.
Sharp Short Dance presents dance works up to five minutes in length, by the dance industry’s upcoming choreographers and dancers. Each performance will go through one of three rounds of heats, which will be judged nightly by a panel of industry professionals. The heat winners will present their works as part of the Final on Saturday 19 November 2016.
All participants in Sharp Short Dance are eligible for sponsored awards such as Outstanding male Performer, Outstanding Female Performer, Most innovative Choreography, Outstanding Solo, Duet and Ensemble Performance and the Audience Choice Award. Finalists are also eligible for industry secondment opportunities with the Dream Dance Company, Sydney Dance Company, Bangarra Dance Theatre, Shaun Parker & Company and Phly Crew.
“Sharp Short Dance is a unique and exciting opportunity for young choreographers to showcase their work in front of an audience and industry leaders. This program is one of FORM’s best and that’s why we are awarding an industry placement with the Dream Dance Company. I can’t wait to see what talent emerges this year!”
Marko Panzic, Director, The Dream Dance Company
The short works need to be 5 minutes or under and are selected for genre-specific heats with specialist industry judges.
The judges are looking for inspiring, innovative choreography and excellence in performance.
Award categories include:
- Most Innovative Choreography
- Outstanding Male Performer
- Outstanding Female Performer
- Outstanding Solo Performance
- Outstanding Duet Performance
- Outstanding Ensemble Performance
- Audience Choice Award
Registration opens Monday 6 June 2016
Heat One: Jazz, Tap and Lyrical dance works
Tuesday 15 Nov 7.30pm at Riverside Theatres
Heat Two: Classical and Contemporary dance works
Wednesday 16 Nov 7.30pm at Riverside Theatres
Heat Three: Cultural, Hip Hop and Street dance works
Thursday 17 Nov 7.30pm at Riverside Theatres
Saturday 19 Nov 7.30pm at Riverside Theatres
HEATS Adult: $18*, Concession $12*
FINAL All Tickets $25*
*transaction fees apply
SSD 2016 TRAILER
Download Registration Form
For more information
Phone: (02) 9806 5609
2016 Award Winners
- Most Innovative Choreography – Sophie Carter for her duet Jewellery Box
- Outstanding Male Dancer – Benjamin Wilson
- Outstanding Female Dancer – Hannah Reimer
- Outstanding Solo Performance – Naomi Lum
- Outstanding Duet Performance – Jazlyn Richards and Brett Hartnett
- Outstanding Ensemble Performance – Down the Rabbit Hole, choreographed by Emily Perry
- Sydney Dance Company, Pre Professional Program Secondment – Pia Hagberg
- Bangarra Dance Theatre Secondment – Jordan Hodges
- Phly Crew Secondment – Nicco Olegario
- Dream Dance Company Secondment – Emily Perry
- Flatline Secondments – Naomi Lum and Benjamin Wilson
- Audience Choice Award – The Waiting Game, choreographed by Alyssa Milanovic