Dance for Parkinson’s- Online
Try it out! It’s Free!
Tuesdays 26 May- 28 July 2020
Join any Tuesday in the term!
Registration, Enquiries and payment:
(02) 9806 5609 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A Zoom link to join class will be emailed to you after your register
What to wear:
Comfy non-restrictive clothing, soft shoes or bare feet.
FUN and CREATIVE, one-hour dance classes led by dance artist, Diane Busuttil in partnership with Dance for Parkinson’s AUSTRALIA. No previous dance experience is necessary!
Classes are designed specifically for people with Parkinson’s. Carers, friends and family members are welcomed.
Classes will get the blood flowing and the body dancing. They will include soft stretches suited to everyone’s ability, moving to classic tunes and tapping into a variety of dance styles from disco to contemporary and tap.
“Dance appears to meet many, if not all, of the recommended components for exercise programs designed for individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. The benefits of dance include improved balance and gait function as well as improved quality of life” (Earhart 2009).
Attending an online class:
- Book your class in advance, at least 24 hours prior to class.
- To register email: email@example.com with your full name, and mobile phone contact details.
- Download the Zoom software to your computer by clicking HERE. Press HERE for instructions on how to join a meeting
- Prior to class ensure you have a safe space to dance in and move away any hazardous objects. If you feel any discomfort you must inform the teacher and stop immediately.
- We recommend joining each session 10 minutes prior to class to ensure your video and sound are working. Before class begins, click the speaker’s view option and press the mute button. If you have a question during the class you can ‘unmute¹ yourself and ask. Keep your video open so that the teacher can see you and instruct you when necessary.
FORM Dance Projects including employees, contractors and board assume no responsibility for injuries suffered while practicing through your online classes and you take full responsibility for your body and the space/equipment you use.
Image release: in participating in the online class you agree that Zoom classes may be recorded for documentation and archival purposes. Screenshots may be taken at times for promotional and acquittal purposes.
Diane Busuttil- Lead Teacher
Diane holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Dance from The University of Western Sydney and more recently a Masters Degree from Macquarie University. In 2000, she was awarded a DAAD scholarship to study at The International Women’s University in Germany, where she remained for the next 15 years working in dance theatre and performing internationally with a diverse range of artistic groups throughout Europe, Canada and the USA. Diane also writes, directs and produces short films that have received critical acclaim from various International film festivals. Since returning to Australia in 2015 to care for her father with dementia, Diane initiated Creative Caring that brings dance classes within reach of all people with chronic movement restrictions, with a focus on community building as well as enhancing health and well-being for seniors.
Renata Commisso, Co-Teacher
Renata Commisso was born in Sydney. She worked with professional dance companies in Europe and Canada such as the Les Grands Ballets Canadiens (Montreal) as well as with The National Centre for Dance Therapy. Renata explored collaborative contemporary performance for the community, including Le Livart Galleries, A Suvire 2016, Leucan, and Parkinson’s en Mouvement. She received her Parkinson’s en Movement Certification in Montreal, her Social Arts Immersion Training- Cirque du Soleil and Centre of National Dance Therapy and most recently Dance for PD participation in Melbourne. Since 2017, Renata has been teaching community dance classes for people with Parkinson’s in Montreal and Sydney and also teaches improvisation classes.